50% of Hypertensive Patients are Non-compliant with their Medications
- Affects 45% of the U.S. Population
- 1,400,000,000 People Worldwide
- 70% of people over 65 have high blood pressure
- #1 Death Risk Factor ~1,000/day U.S.
- Global Healthcare Burden $500B
- #1 Risk Factor for chronic kidney disease, diabetes and heart failure
WHAT CAUSES HYPERTENSION?
Blood pressure is controlled an interaction between several systems within the body including the nervous system and circulatory system. Activity of the sympathetic nervous system (“fight or flight” system) can affect the blood vessels resulting in elevated blood pressure (hypertension). The nerves running to the kidney are important in the control of blood pressure.